- Environmental protection – Охорона навколишнього середовища
- century – століття
- harmony – Гармонія
- industry – промисловість
- developed – розвинений
- ecological – екологічний
- sent wastes – відправлено відходів
- air – повітря
- ignore – ігнорувати
- law – Закон
- contradictions – протиріччя
- destroy – знищити
- anxious about – занепокоєні
- state – стан
- breathe – дихати
- throws out – викидає
- atmosphere – атмосфера
- dust – пил
- smoke – дим
- harmful – шкідливий
- substances – речовини
- suffer from – страждають від
- reason – Причина
- high level – високий рівень
- pollution – забруднення навколишнього середовища
- pollute – забруднювати
- car exhaust fumes – вихлопні гази автомобілів
- sinking ships – потопаючі кораблі
- increase – збільшення
- destruction – знищення
- atmosphere – атмосфера
- mention – Відзначимо
- ozone holes – озонові діри
- ocean – океан
- ozone layer – Озоновий шар
- lead to – привести до
- global catastrophe – глобальна катастрофа
- terrible – страшна
- catastrophe – катастрофа
- Chernobyl disaster – Чорнобильська катастрофа
- atomic explosion – атомний вибух
- death – смерть
- dead – мертвий
- affect –впливають
- radiation – випромінювання
- continue – Продовжити
- contaminated – забруднений
- The Earth – Земля
- area – площа
- take measures – вжити заходів
- fight – бій, боротися
- take care of – піклуватися про
- organization – організація
- set up – створити
- put pressure upon – чинити тиск на
- government – Уряд
- mankind – людство
- survive – вижити
- realize – розуміти
- universal – універсальний
- concern – заклопотаність, клопіт
- acid rain – кислотний дощ
Our planet is the only place where a human being might live. Unfortunately, scientists haven’t yet discovered other planets, to where a person may move and live the rest of life. That’s why we have to take care of the Earth and look after our nature and surroundings as well as possible.
A human being is able not only to create but also to destroy. Especially our earth suffers badly from pernicious actions of man. This applies to both people’s neglectful attitude to the nature – dropping of cigarette ends, rubbish on the earth – and industrial factories and natural appearances (e.g. acid rains).
Factories regularly emit harmful chemicals into the air. Petrol and gas, that are used by our drivers, also leave much to be desired. Apart from air pollution, water and soil are subjected to pollutions as well. When such fuels as coal and oil burn, they emit very dangerous smoke.
A person destroys not only environment, plants, animals, but also himself. Faster and faster man’s health starts worsening; children of weak immune system are being given birth. Forests are being cut down, and animals from the Red Book are gradually dying out. What will be next in our world of progressive technology remains undecided. Let’s protect the nature. Nature is our friend!
Many species of plants and animals on our planet are at risk, and in most cases they are threatened by human beings. The most common cause of extinction is loss of habitat — the places where wild animals and plants live are taken over or altered by people. The most famous example of this is the Amazon rainforest in Brazil. Every day vast areas of rainforest are cleared to make room for farms, roads and towns. Many thousands of species could be wiped out and lost forever unless the destruction of the forest is halted. There are many other examples: the giant panda has been pushed out of large areas of its natural habitat in northern; the ploughing of the North American prairies has deprived the black-footed ferret of its home; and the Californian condor is being hunted to extinction by farmers. Hunting has also being responsible for its skin and is now extinct in the wild. It survives only on crocodile farms in Thailand. The North American red wolf has suffered a similar fate: there are now very few left except in zoos. Not all the news is bad, though; there are some success stories in conservation. A few years ago, the numbers of both elephants and rhinos in Africa were falling fast as a result if poaching. Now, thanks to better protection for the animals and a ban on the trade in rhino horn and elephant ivory, there are many more of them. In the 1970s, Project Tiger was begun in an attempt to prevent tigers being hunted to extinction in India, Nepal and Bangladesh. Eight large nature reserves were set up. The tigers live there in safety, and the money paid by visitors to the reserves helps to pay for their running costs. Project Tiger has been a great success.
Our planet Earth is only a tiny part of the universe, but nowadays it's the only place where we can live.
People always polluted their surroundings. But until now pollution was not such a serious problem. People lived in rural areas and did not produce such amount of polluting agents that would cause a dangerous situation in global scale. With the development of overcrowded industrial highly developed cities, which put huge amounts of pollutants into surrounds, the problem has become more and more dangerous. Today our planet is in serious danger. Acid rains, global warming, air and water pollution, and overpopulation are the problems that threaten human lives on the Earth.
Billions of tons of coal and oil are consumed around the world every year. When these fuels are burnt, they produce smoke and other by-products, which is emitted into the atmosphere. Although wind and rain occasionally wash away the smoke, given off by power plants and automobiles, but it is not enough. These chemical compounds undergo a series of chemical reactions in the presence of sunlight; as a result we have smog, mixture of fog and smoke. Factories emit tons of harmful chemicals. They are the main reason for the greenhouse effect and acid rains.
Our forests are disappearing because they are cut down or burnt. If this trend continues, one day we won't have enough oxygen to breathe, we won't see a beautiful green forest at all.
The seas are in danger. They are filled with poison: industrial and nuclear wastes, chemical fertilizers and pesticides. If nothing is done about it, one day nothing will be able to live in our seas.
Every ten minutes one kind of animal, plant or insect dies out forever. If nothing is done about it, one million species that are alive today may soon become extinct.
And even greater threats are nuclear power stations. We all know how tragic the consequences of the Chernobyl disaster are.
Fortunately, it's not too late to solve these problems. We have the time, the money and even the technology to make our planet a better, cleaner and safer place. We can plant trees and create parks for endangered animals.
We can recycle our wastes; persuade enterprises to stop polluting activities.
Test for the 10th form on the topic “Environmental protection”
Task 1. Match the word combinations:
1. to destroy the ozone layer a) oхорона навколишнього середовища
2. car exhaust fumes b) шкідливi речовини
3. harmful substances c) людство повинно вижити
4. the state of atmosphere d) високий рівень радіації
5. to pollute the air e) уряди вживають заходів
6. ozone holes and acid rains f) забруднювати повітря
7. environmental protection g) стан атмосфери
8. the governments take measures h) знищити озоновий шар
9. the mankind must survive i) озонові діри i кислотний дощi
10. the high level of radiation j) вихлопні гази автомобілів
Task 2. Guess and write down the words using the transcription:
1. [ kəntəmi`neitid ] 2. [ juni`və:sl
3. [ bri: ð ] 4. [ ə: θ ]
5. [`indʌstri ] 6. [ ig`nɔ: ]
7. [ `ha:məni ] 8. [ pɔ`lu:ʃn ]
9. [ smouk ] 10. [ `teribl ]
Task 3. Put the words in the right order:
1. is/ home/our / the Earth/.
2. organizations/ what/ do/ ecological/ know/ you /?
3. thrown/ millions/ substances / of toxic/ tons / the air /are/ into/.
4. protect/ must/ nature /people/all.
5. is /ecological/famous/ Green Peace/ organization/a / world /.
6. ignore /the/ can /the/ nature/ laws/ mankind /of/?
7. speak/ did/ English/ at the/ protection/ the /you/ lesson/ environmental/ about?
Task 4. Translate into Ukrainian:
- At the present time the Earth accommodates more then 5 billion people.
- Since ancient times nature has served man, being the source of his life.
- Large cities with thousands of smoky industrial enterprises have appeared all over the world today.
- People all over the world are worried about what is happening to the environment.
- They understand that the earth is their home, a big green home.
- The international organization Greenpeace is also doing much to preserve the environment.
- Not only Chernobyl but many of our "peaceful" factories and towns cause a great damage to the environment.