1.Cinema plays an important role in our life. 2. There are many genres of films such as: feature films, documentaries, horror films, thrillers, action films, comedies, animated cartoons, dramas, melodramas, westerns. 3. Films can be adventurous and historical. 4. They can be colour or black-and-white, silent or sound. 5. Americans call cinema “movies”. 6. We can watch films in the cinema or on TV and computers. 7. The people who often go to the cinema are called cinema-goers. 8. Many different people take part in the making of the film. 9. They are directors, art-directors, the directors of photography, composers, costume-designers, producers, sound editors etc. 10. The cast is actors and actresses playing roles in the film. 11. There are many good films in the world that are worth seeing. 12. You can watch the trailers before watching the films. 13. As for me I like to watch… and my favourite film is…
Test on the topic “Cinema. Theatre” for the 7 th form
- Match the words.
- To create the screenplay a) іноземні мультфільми
- To add sound effects b) організувати ляльковий театр
- To be responsible for the sets c) насолоджуватися виставою
- To watch documentaries d) співати у оперному театрі
- To dislike commercials e) жанри художніх фільмів
- To make an exciting trailer f) режисер фільмів жахів
- Foreign animated cartoons g) дивитися документальні фільми
- Genres of feature films h) не любити рекламу
- The director of horror films i) бути відповідальним за декорації
- To organize a puppet theatre j) створити захоплюючу рекламу до фільму
- To sing in the Opera House k) створити сценарій
- To enjoy the performance l) додавати звукові ефекти
- Find the odd word.
- Puppet theatre, opera house, cinema, drama theatre, comedy theatre.
- Director, director of photography, curtain, art – director, costume designer.
- Thriller, melodrama, soap opera, western, credits.
- Screenplay, storyteller, screenwriter, scriptwriter, author.
- Actors, trailer, actresses, cast, film stars.
- Make, create, composer, edit, produce.
- Fill in the correct word.
- Many little kids prefer to watch interesting …
- screenplays b) thrillers c) animated cartoons
- The first … was opened in Pittsburg in 1906.
- sets b) cinema c) horror film
- The … watch the films at the cinema.
- actors b) audience c) cast
- The theatre has a … where the performance take place.
- sets b) screen c) stage
- If you want to watch a film at the cinema you should buy …
- tickets b) books c) copy – books
- “Romeo and Juliet’ is the most popular Shakespeare’s …
- comedy b) thriller c) tragedy
- Translate into Ukrainian.
- I would like to watch a new adventure film of this American producer.
- If you want to see a performance at the theatre you should buy tickets.
- What genres of films does your mom prefer to watch?
- I don’t like watching ballet, it is more interesting for me to see a good action film.
- Actors and actresses should be talented to make the film great and popular.
- The auditorium in the theatre is separated from the stage by the orchestra pit.
- The Lumiere brothers were the first people who showed the first film in Paris.
Comprehension task on the text 35 on page 194 for the 7 th form (підручник Л.Биркун)
Task 1. Match the words.
- A relatively new art a) супроводжувалися музикою
- Took a series of photographs b) перший публічний показ
- A raw of cameras c) дивилася через отвір
- Developed the kinetoscope d) величезна звукова система
- Black-and-white films e) рухливі картинки
- Watched through a hole f) нікель був платою
- In a number of cities g) зробив серію знімків
- The first public demonstration h) відносно молоде мистецтво
- Motion pictures i) у багатьох містах
- A nickel was charged j) ряд фотокамер
- Accompanied by music k) чорно-білі фільми
- A huge sound system l) зробив кінетоскоп
Task 2. Put sentences in the right order.
- It was mostly silent, but in a few scenes the popular American entertainer Al Jolson sang and spoke.
- In 1906 the first theatre for showing films was built in Pittsburg.
- When the horse ran by, it broke each string starting the cameras.
- Steven Spielberg made dinosaurs come to life in Jurassic Park.
- A person watched through a hole as the film moved inside.
Task 3. Fill in the proper word.
- A British … working in California took a series of photographs of a running horse.
- director b) photographer c) producer
- In 1893 … and his team developed the kinetoscope.
- Charlie Chaplin c) Steven Spielberg c) Thomas Edison
- The theatre was called … because a nickel (five cents) was charged for watching a film.
- nickelodeon c) cinema d) cinema room
- From 1914 the name … started to mean American films.
- Oscar b) Hollywood c) Nice
- The first animated sound film was called …
- Micky Mouse b) Walt Disney c) Steamboat Willie
- In 1990s the first special effects were made by …
- composers b) computer graphics c) editors
Task 4. Find true and false sentences.
- Cinematography is a very old art.
- Cinematography started in California in 1878.
- The first film showed only running horse.
- Thomas Edison made the kinetoscope without any help.
- The first black-and-white films were running about ninety seconds.
- In 1895 the Lumiere brothers made the first public film demonstration in Paris.
- The first cinema was built in London.
- The price for the watching first black-and-white films was five cents or a nickel.
- The first films were not sound.
- The first successful sound film had the title “Jazz Singer”.
- The first animated cartoon was created by Walt Disney in 1927.
- IMAX theatres appeared in the nineteenth century.
- More than 200 large –screen IMAX theatres were built in the world by 2002.
- A horror film ‘Dracula” was made in 1905.
Task 5. Find Ukrainian equivalents.
- Він поставив ряд камер і прив’язав до них мотузки.
- Це був ящик, який показував чорно-білі фільми протягом 90 секунд.
- Фільми того часу були німі.
- Вона була в основному німа, але у кількох сценах популярний американський шоумен Ел Джолсон співав і говорив.
- Стівен Спілберг зробив майже як живих динозаврів у «Парку Юрського періоду».
- У цих кінотеатрах є величезний екран, спеціальний проектор і потужна звукова система.
Task 6. Answer the questions.
- Is cinematography an old or a new art?
- When and where did it start?
- Who made the kinetoscope?
- How much time did the first black-and-white films run?
- Who made the first public demonstration of projected motion pictures?
- Where was the first theatre for showing films built?
- How much money did people pay for watching of the first films?
- What does the name Hollywood mean?
- What musical instruments were used to accompany the silent films?
- What first horror films do you know?
- What was the first successful talking picture?
- When did IMAX theatres appear?
- How many IMAX theatres have been built by 2002?