London 1. London is the capital of Great Britain, its political, economic and cultural centre. 2. It is one of the largest cities in the world. 3. Its population is about 8 million people. 4. London stands on the river Thames. 5. The city is very ancient and beautiful. 6. It was founded more than two thousand years ago.7. London is divided into 4 parts: the City, the Westminster, the West End and the East End. 8. The City is the oldest part of London, its business centre. 9. The Westminster is the aristocratic part of London. 10. You can see here Buckingham Palace, where the Queen lives. 11. The West End is the part where rich people live. 12. The best hotels, restaurants, shops, clubs, parks and houses are there. 13. The East End is an industrial part of London. 14. London has many places of interest such as the Houses of Parliament, the Tower, Big Ben, Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey, Saint Paul’s Cathedral, the British Museum, the Tower Bridge, London Eye. 15. The best way to know London is to visit it. 16. There is a proverb “If you are tired of London you are tired of life”.
Test for the 7 th form on the topic “London. Kyiv” (1)
- Match the words.
- go along the street and turn to the right a) культурний центр
- to run across the bridge b) відвідувати Трафальгарську площу
- a house in front of you c) гарні вулиці й проспекти
- to live next to the friend d) особливі українські традиції
- to be close friends e) бути близьким другом
- a cultural centre f) перебігти через міст
- ancient historical places g) їхати прямо по дорозі
- to visit Trafalgar Square h) провулок ліворуч від вас
- Specific Ukrainian traditions i) будинок перед вами
- Nice streets and avenues j) жити по сусідству з другом
- The lane is on your left k) пройдіть вздовж вулиці і поверніть праворуч
- To drive straight along the road l) стародавні історичні місця
- Find the odd word.
- On the left, on the right, theatre, opposite, next to.
- London Eye, Trafalgar Square, Maidan Nezalezhnosti, Buckingham Palace, Tower.
- Avenue, close to, crescent, lane, street.
- Ancient, interesting, queen, famous, historical.
- Fill in the gaps.
- … is the popular place in the centre of the Ukrainian capital.
- Maidan Nezalezhnosti b) Covent Garden c) Trafalgar Square
- The English Queen Elizabeth II lives in …
- Saint James Park b) Tower Bridge c) Buckingham Palace
- The symbol of the Ukrainian capital is …
- Christmas tree b) sunflower c) chestnut
- … is situated on the banks of the river Thames.
- Edinburgh b) London c) Dublin
4. Translate into Ukrainian.
1. You can see many historical places in London.
2. More than eight million people live in the capital of Great Britain.
3. English people don’t have the president, the main person in the country is the Queen.
4. If you want to learn about England you should visit the British Museum.
5. There are many different bridges across the river Thames in London.
6. London metro is the oldest metro in the world.
7. Kyievo – Pecherska Lavra is a long way from the National Opera Theatre in Kyiv.
- Answer the questions.
- What is your country?
- What is the capital of Great Britain?
- Where is Great Britain?
- What river can we see in London?
- What interesting places can we visit in London?
- What places of interest do you know in Kyiv?
- What is the main street of Kyiv?
- What is the symbol of England?